Biofinity® multifocal lens fitting guidelines
A simplified fitting philosophy
Our new fitting process is based on eye care professionals’ real-world experiences.
- Fitting lower ADD powers is now simpler than ever, by using the same D lens design for both eyes.
- Fitting higher ADD powers continues to be flexible, giving you more options for exceptional vision performance.
Start with a new refraction and verification of eye dominance (fogging technique).
Select the distance prescription based on spherical equivalent corrected for the vertex distance.
Choose D or N lens design based on needed ADD power:
Although lens will equilibrate quickly, allow patients to adapt to lenses for a minimum of 15 minutes before assessing vision.
If binocular vision is unacceptable, perform a monocular over refraction, using hand-held trial lenses, to determine which eye needs improvement.
To improve distance vision add +/-0.25D (up to +/-0.50D) to the eye that needs improvement.
To improve near vision add +/-0.25D (up to +/-0.50D) to the eye that needs improvement.
- Prescribe maximum plus power for distance vision (Do not over minus).
- Test patient’s near function vision with their cell phone.
- Choose the lower ADD power when possible; not necessary to overprescribe the ADD power.
- Check visual acuity with room lights on.
Follow-up visit one week later
If patient requires further enhancement to distance or near visual acuity.
Evaluate binocular visual acuity.
Check monocular visual acuity.
Perform over refraction using hand-held trial lenses (avoid using a phoropter).
FIRST OPTION: To improve either distance or near vision, modify distance vision by +/- 0.25D in the eye that needs improvement.
SECOND OPTION: To improve near vision add +0.50D to the ADD power of the eye that needs improvement.